What Are Storage Heater Grants?
Storage Heater Grants are predominantly aimed at low income Families and Pensioners who have broken or faulty electric heaters and who cannot afford to replace them.
As each heater will cost up to £500 to replace, it is important to check whether you will be entitled to various government grants available to assist with the cost.
In many cases, people on qualifying benefits, will have them replaced for 100 % Free.
If you receive a benefit…………..read on.
Qualifying Criteria For Storage Heater Grants
- You must live in your own home or privately rent your home, or be a landlord that has a tenant living in that is claiming a benefit.
- The existing electric panel heaters / Storage Heaters installed in your home must be broken or a fault found at the time of your ECO survey.
- Your Home must be adequately insulated.
4. You must receive at least one qualifying Benefit
- Guaranteed Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit
- Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit
- Job Seeker’s Allowance Income-based
- Employment & Support Allowance Income-related
- Income Support
- Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- Attendance Allowance
- Carer’s Allowance
- Severe Disablement Allowance
- Industrial Injuries Disablement Allowance
- War Pensions Mobility Supplement
- Constant Attendance Allowance
- Armed Forces Independence Payment
Child Benefit is included but is subject to maximum household income thresholds for the number of children you have.
Where Does Funding Come From For Free Storage Heaters?
Your Storage Heater Grant comes from the Government’s Green Homes Grant / ECO Scheme. This provides funding for new heating systems and insulation in homes where the householder meets certain qualifying criteria.
A levy, placed on everyone’s electricity bill, is collected by every large energy supplier and fed into an ECO Fund.
Money from this ECO Fund is paid to ECO Accredited installation companies who carry out work under the scheme – but only once they have completed the storage heater installation and you are happy with it.
How Is The Grant Calculated?
The amount of Storage Heater grant awarded to you is based on a number of factors :
- The type of property you live in
- How many bedrooms your home has
- Whether you home is constructed with cavity or solid walls
Large houses with quite a few bedrooms will be awarded the highest grants.
Typically, flats, maisonettes and mid terraced houses will receive the lowest storage heater grants.
What Is Involved In The Storage Heater Survey
An ECO Accredited surveyor will need to survey your property and complete the paperwork for your application in order to present it to the ECO Funding provider for grant approval.
Once your Storage Heater Grant has been approved, your ECO accredited installer will contact you to arrange the installation by qualified electricians and insulation fitters.
What Type Of Heaters Are Fitted?
Only the most energy efficient, high heat retention electric storage heaters can be installed with ECO funding from the Storage Heater Grant Scheme.
These are up to 30% more energy efficient than traditional storage heaters.
The main types installed are the Dimplex Quantum range and the Elnur & Gabi Noor
HOW DO MODERN HEATERS COMPARE ?
Modern electric storage heaters:
- Are up to 30% more energy efficient than old ones.
- Have control systems which allow you to have exactly the right amount of heat in each room, when you need it
- Have a built-in convector heater for additional heat when you require it.
- Are slimmer, with a modern stylish design
- Will add value to your home and reduce your bills significantly.
The two main aims of the Government’s ECO Scheme are to make heating affordable for all householders in the UK and to reduce carbon emissions. Modern energy efficient electric storage heaters will reduce your heating bills and make your home more comfortable.
Modern storage heaters can cost up to £1,000 each to supply and install but a Storage Heater Grant from the ECO Scheme can fund up to 100% of this.
HOW DO I APPLY FOR A STORAGE HEATER GRANT
Applying for a Storage Heater Grant is a very easy process.
- Complete the online form on our webpage here
- One of our install partners will perform a check on your eligibility for the grant.
- If successful they will telephone you to book in your free survey.
- Your home will be attended and survey carried out which will include a free insulation check.
- The following week, your Free Heaters & Free Insulation will be installed.
PLEASE NOTE – council owned and housing association properties are currently excluded from the Storage Heater Grant Scheme.
What Are Electric Storage Heaters
Electric storage heaters are domestic heaters which store thermal energy and release it to heat your home when you need it. They are especially designed to convert cheap night time, off-peak electricity into thermal energy, store it, and then release it continuously throughout the day. This is why they are sometimes referred to as night storage heaters.
Modern high heat retention electric storage heaters are much more energy efficient than their predecessors. They have better insulation to preserve the stored heat longer and a convection facility to top up the heat required for very cold days. They have LCD displays which allow you to see heat input & output levels and intelligent control systems which learn your heating requirements.
Economy 7 Explained
The price of electricity supplied to our homes is much less when demand for it is lower, typically during the night time. Electric storage heaters use this cheap night time electricity to store heat and then release it to warm your home during the day time when electricity is more expensive. Energy suppliers have introduced electricity tariffs such as Economy 7 which require a special meter to track day and night use of electricity, so that it can be charged at a different rate per kilowatt hour (kWh).
Heat Storage Blocks
Old storage heaters contained very heavy, heat retaining clay bricks but modern, more energy efficient versions use a ceramic material or high density magnetite to store heat. Offering the highest density and heat storage capacity, magnetite is extremely efficient at storing thermal energy but it also relies on excellent insulation to retain the heat.
Apply for Your Storage Heater Grant Today.