ECO3 Grants For Disabled

Disabled Facilities Grant 2021

There is a grant available from your local council especially for disabled people to assist them to cope with their disability around the home.

This money has been set aside to help cover the cost of making much needed changes to their homes in order to assist them to live an independent life.

Who Is Eligible For a Disabled Facilities Grant

Owner-occupiers, landlords, tenants, licensees, and occupiers of some houseboats and park homes

You or someone living in the property must:

  • be disabled  and own the property or be a private  tenant
  • intend to live in the property  for 5 years after the grant has been paid.

 Landlords are eligible to apply if they have a disabled tenant.

What Home Improvements Can Be Made ?

Improvements primarily cover ensure the persons safety include:

  • Widening doors for wheelchair access
  •  Installing ramps to access the property from outside.
  • improve access to rooms and facilities – eg stair lifts or provide a downstairs bathroom
  • providing a new heating system suitable for your needs
  • adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use
  • Conversions to a wet room
  • making it easier or safer to get access to the garden
  • providing suitable bathroom or kitchen facilities
  • by providing improved lighting for better visibility

What will the Size Of The Grant Be?

The size of grant awarded will depend on the individual’s household income and personal savings over £6000.

–Exception for Disabled children under 18 can get a grant without their parents’ income being taken into account

Grant Levels

The above is maximum and you may need to pay something towards the cost of the work.

England – Grant up to £30000

Wales – Up To £36000

Northern Ireland Up To £25000
Scotland – Disabled Facilities Grants are not available 

Will A Grant Affect Any Benefits You Receive?

A Disabled Facilities Grant won’t affect any benefits you get from the UK Government

What Are The Council Requirements?

You must get council approval before work commences. They may send an occupational therapist round to check your circumstances and see that any work is :

  • Necessary and appropriate to meet the disabled person’s needs.
  • can be done depending on the age and condition of the property

When Is The Grant Paid?

You’ll be paid in either instalments as the work progresses or in full and the council is happy with the finished work

The council will agree this with you when they approve your application.

Can The Work Be Done as a DIY Job?

 If you (or a relative) does the work the council will only accept invoices for materials or services you’ve bought.

Do You Need Planning and building regulations?

 Yes – You are responsible for applying for both a planning permission & building regulations approval.

You are responsible for a qualified architect or surveyor to plan and oversee the work.

How to apply

Contact your local authority or visit their website.

Once you have applied for a grant, your local authority must tell you about its decision in writing as soon as it can, and no later than six months after you applied.


Carlo Lega Eco Lead Generator

8 Years’ Experience In Government Heating & Insulation Grants

I run this website to make people aware of the various Heating & Insulation Upgrades available from The Government.

If you receive a benefit YOU COULD BE ELIGIBLE for 1 or more grants available under the Government Affordable Warmth Scheme.

Share and Enjoy !